This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Taco seasoned beef, pinto beans and cheese all wrapped in one delicious package, these Mini Taco Beef and Bean Pies are so easy to make, and so good to eat.
Ever heard the saying “good things come in small packages“? Well, it’s ESPECIALLY true here.
I needed something to feed the family for lunch on a weekend, and had a quick rummage around my fridge and pantry trying to figure out something other than sandwiches. Some pie crusts that never made it to being on the holiday table, some ground beef, some cheddar cheese and a can of beans – and we were in business.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Mini Taco Beef & Bean Pies are easy to make, and good to eat! #recipe #homemade #taco #pie #beans” quote=”Mini Taco Beef & Bean Pies are easy to make, and good to eat! #recipe #homemade #taco #pie #beans”]
Look how cute they are! (excuse the crumb on my finger – I can’t be bothered to edit it out).
MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE!
I got 32 mini pies out of this recipe – we ate (ahem) around 20, and I froze the rest unbaked. I can now pull a dozen pies out of the freezer, brush em with an egg wash and bake them up for ANOTHER quick lunch, or an appetizer when we have guests.
I love adding the little cubes of cheese to the center – but you don’t have to. You could also switch out the type of cheese for something milder if you wanted to (I just happened to have a block of cheddar).
I served them with some sour cream that I blended a little sriracha into, but you could fancy it all the way up and do an avocado salad and fresh pico de gallo and call it a meal!
So, what do you think? Comment and tell me!
Want more appetizers? Of course you do!
Mini Taco Beef & Bean Pies
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 Tbs taco seasoning
- 1 can pinto beans undrained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 32 small cubes of cheddar optional
- 4 pie crusts (2 packages storebought)
- 1 egg beaten
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef over medium heat until fully cooked – drain excess fat.
- Pour half the can of beans in a bowl and mash until smooth. Combine with remaining beans (with the liquid– and add to the ground beef.
- Stir in the seasoning, and test for flavor.
- Remove from heat, and fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Roll out the pie crust a little thinner than it already is. Cut into circles.
- Scoop a rounded tablespoon of filling onto half of the circles, and place a cube of cheddar into each, before topping with the remaining pastry circles.
- Use a fork to enclose the pies and seal.
- Cut a small slit with a knife in each pie, and brush with egg.
- Place on cookie sheets, and bake in the pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes.
Tips for All Recipes on Kylee Cooks
Source: Adapted from Kitchen Gidget