This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Flaky phyllo pastry encases a rich and tasty beef filling, topped with cheese, and baked until perfect. These beef and cheese phyllo pies are awesome for any time of year!
Pies, Pies…I love a good pie!
Growing up in New Zealand, a pie from the local bakery, gas station or one from GEORGIE PIE was an absolute staple. There’s your run of the mill pie, your basic beef with gravy in pastry, with a flaky “lid”, (my favourite has a creamy cheese just under the lid). Gourmet versions might involve chicken/camembert/cranberry. Or bacon/gg, or a even Thai, Indian or smoked fish variety (Mum, I’m looking at you. I do not consider smoked fish as an acceptable pie filling. Ever). I miss pies. Bad.
Today, I feel like pies. I don’t have individual pie plates, so I’m going freestyle. I also don’t feel like making puff pastry, so phyllo it is. Is it authentic NZ pie? No. Is it delicious, and does it “scratch the itch” so to speak? Yes. Sooooo much yes!!
Want more beef? Of course you do!
Beef & Cheese Phyllo Pies
Flaky phyllo pastry encases a rich and tasty beef filling, topped with cheese, and baked until perfect. These beef and cheese phyllo pies are awesome for any time of year!Print Pin
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 pies
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- Heat oil in a saucepan at medium heat.
- Add onion and ground beef, cook on until onion is softened and the beef is browned.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for 10 to 15 mins until sauce thickens.
- Stir in oregano, season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Brush 1 sheet of phyllo with butter, top with a second buttered sheet and place a third sheet on top. Cut in half. Repeat with remaining phyllo to make four pies, of three layers each.
- Add 1/4 Cup cheese and about 3/4 Cup of beef mixture on the centre of each phyllo section, top with cheese.
- Fold/roll edges over, to enclose, and brush tops with butter.
- Place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.