These crispy chewy oatmeal cookies are my absolute ideal cookie. Crisp, with a slight chew, lots of vanilla, and butter and EASY to make!
Yeah, I know – it’s summer. What am I THINKING heating up the house by making oatmeal cookies? Well, all I have to say is… I needed cookies. And when you need them…. you know.. YOU NEED THEM.
Everyone is sick, and stuck inside anyway – and if we can’t go out, we may as well crank up the air conditioning, turn up the music (or put on Bubble Guppies, whatever), and get your bake on.
Fresh baked cookies really are the ultimate in comfort food. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon wafting around my house was addictive! This is a super simple recipe, that is hard to mess up. Still, I managed anyway! This was my first batch. Spoiler alert: we still ate them. Because, #cookies.
DO learn from my mistakes, and make sure to have a good distance between cookies, because boy, do they spread – it’s what makes them crispy!
I really really enjoyed these cookies. I was going to actually take another picture, but, um, they’re all gone. I can’t imagine what happened to them.
I don’t love using the microwave to soften butter, I always overdo it. So, now – instead, I get a glass and put hot water in it. Let it sit for a minute or two, empty the water, then upend it on the butter stick. Consequently, the heat from the glass softens the butter a bunch faster than just on the counter. Win!
Crispy Chewy Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line 3 large baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside (or use 1 baking sheet, and switch them out and bake cookies in batches)
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, cream butter and both granulated and brown sugars together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Mix into butter mixture.
- Remove bowl from mixer, and fold in the oats.
- Using a cookie scoop (for uniform sized cookies), scoop onto a prepared baking sheet - at least 2 inches apart.
- Flatten each cookie with a glass or cup dipped in sugar. Cookies should be about a quarter inch thick (ish).
- Bake for 10- 12 minutes. Edges should be JUST slightly browned.
- Refrigerate dough between baking times (if you don't have enough cookie sheets to bake them all at once)
- Let cool 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
As seen on http://www.thibeaultstable.com
Want to make these later? (say, when it’s not 115 outside?) Pin this pic!