With a sweet cream cheese and raspberry filling, this pastry braid is a WINNER! It only takes 5 minutes to throw together, 20 (ish) minutes to bake, and you have a pretty looking and delicious tasting pastry to cut and share.
The husband tells me I can make this anytime I want – isn’t that kind? He’s a huge fan of baked goods, and although this does use canned crescent rolls (ie, I did not make the pastry myself), I can’t think of a better way to use them than this.
This mixes up and comes together super fast, and tastes like you stopped by a french patisserie. It’s SO easy to make. Just lay the rolls out (shown below), mix up the cream cheese and powdered sugar, and dollop on the raspberry pie filling. Braid it up, egg wash and bake!!
Can you even IMAGINE the look on your family’s face if you pull this out of the oven as they drag themselves into the kitchen one morning in search of food?
NOTE: Using pastry filling vs pie filling is KEY. Pie filling will spread and ooze out of the braid, and create a very delicious, but still, pretty big mess.
Want more easy breakfast baked goods?
- 2 cans crescent rolls
- 8 oz cream cheese softened (low fat can be used)
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 can raspberry pastry filling
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Open both cans of crescent rolls, and place triangles of dough with points on the outer edges and short edge in the middle. Use a roller to flatten center.
- Mix cream cheese and powdered sugar and spread on the center of dough.
- Use a small cookie scoop to do a line of pastry filling down the very middle (cream cheese will be twice the width).
- Bring dough points over in braid pattern and secure on other side.
- Brush dough with egg , and bake for approximately 20 mins (check at 18 minutes).
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Slice it up, grab a plate and a fork - and DEVOUR!