I love a good blueberry muffin, but thought I better find a recipe that has whole wheat flour in it so that I can not feel SO bad about eating more than four one. These cook pretty fast, and can easily burn – so keep an eye on them. The recipe says that it makes 12 regular sized muffins. But, I made them into minis and got 3 dozen. They can be frozen if you wish, but they probably won’t last that long 🙂 The little guy is a huge fan of these, and obviously (see photo below) so is the big guy!
Whole Wheat Blueberry Mini Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt not Greek
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Grease the cups of a standard muffin pan; or line with paper baking cups, and grease the paper cups.
- Mix together all of the dry ingredients, including the blueberries.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, vegetable oil, and buttermilk or yogurt.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them nearly full.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of one of the center muffins comes out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven, and after 5 minutes (or when they're cool enough to handle) transfer them to a rack to cool.