This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Simple preparation plus quality ingredients makes Easy Baked Chicken Cordon Bleu a fabulous mid-week dinner, fancy enough for company, easy enough for every day!
This post is sponsored by Bistro Favorites, but the content and opinions expressed here are my own.
Peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly, swiss cheese and ham – it’s like these seemingly unrelated foods were just made for each other! Flavor pairings that take a meal from every day to FABULOUS.
I LOVE this Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe for many reasons, but here’s the main one:
- It looks fancy, but it’s not difficult
- Done in under an hour (less if you prepped ahead!)
- Gooey ham and cheese. Enough said.
I was talking with some new friends recently and was so sad when they told me they were worried to invite me over to dinner, simply because I have a recipe/food blog. Here’s a hot tip: I will like whatever you make, it’s a treat to have someone else cook for me, regardless of what it is. Toast? Love it. Spaghetti? Bring it ON. Pizza? That you ordered and I didn’t? PERFECT.
It got me to thinking – the things I make are not complex, but… they DO taste good. It’s not like much on this blog is terribly fancy! It’s just good food. The real secret to great tasting food? QUALITY ingredients. It’s the little details that make your home-cooked meals special!
Get the GOOD sliced meats, slice your own cheese, blend your own seasonings, and for goodness sake – use real butter.
I’ve partnered with Bistro Favorites giving me the perfect opportunity to share my Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe with you (and a great excuse to make it).
Bistro Favories is a new line of sliced meats called that are 100% Natural. These sliced meats come in a variety of flavors (I’ve tried Uncured Peppered Beef and Rotisserie Seasoned Turkey Breast) but, I’m kind of in love with the Black Forest Ham – it’s all natural, minimally processed using no artificial ingredients, and no nitrates or nitrites added. Win!! Add to that it’s all made with love.
Small batches of good quality meat (crafted the old fashioned way in parchment paper-lined baskets), that are hand-rubbed with spices and seasonings. I mean… look.
From 6/24/2018 to 9/10/2018, there is a sweepstakes for an 8-day trip to France via National Geographic journeys! You can enter here.
Chicken Cordon Bleu history dates back to the 1940s (I think that’s the earliest recorded original recipe, anyway), and people have been loving it ever since. I sometimes serve this with a creamy sauce over the top, but most of the time I’m in favor of keeping things simple. Plus, there’s less washing up to do which is a bonus.
See? Simple ingredients in Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
Check out the SUPER easy process with this step-by-step instructions:
- Pre heat the oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter in a large bowl.
- Mix together the thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Using a kitchen mallet, pound the chicken breasts evenly until they’re about half an inch thick.
- Season chicken on both sides with the mixed seasonings.
- Place a slice of ham on each chicken breast, then a slice of swiss cheese, and top with another slice of ham.
- Roll up the chicken, and dip into the melted butter, then the panko.
- Place in the greased baking dish.
- Tuck in the ends and secure each chicken bundle with toothpicks.
- Bake for 35-40 mins, or until a thermometer reads 165F.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- To serve, either place one chicken cordon bleu on each plate, or cut into slices.