A delicious, make ahead pancake mix. WAY better than boxed mix, allowing YOU to be the breakfast super-hero: “Why yes, yes I DID make these from scratch!”
What if I told you…. that this was the best recipe for pancakes, ever… and you could make the mix ahead? And all you’d have to do to begin cooking would be to add some wet ingredients? Would you rush out and make a bunch? Good. You totally should.
I’m a huge fan of cooked breakfasts. There really is nothing quite like a good meal to start the day, and cold cereal just does not cut it. However, during the week – I am out of choices for the boys as we battle through the getting dressed and out the door routine. This pancake recipe takes as long to prep as it does to heat your griddle…. and turns out a pancake so much tastier than store bought mix. WIN! To save even more time – pancakes, pre-made and heated briefly in the microwave are awesome for on the go. Slave labor – here’s my (at the time I posted this) 3 year old son flipping pancakes like a pro!
Want more breakfast ideas? How about these?
DIY: Pancake Mix
- 1.5 Cups all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbs sugar
- 1.25 Cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbs butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
To make the dry mix:
- Combine the dry ingredients in ziploc bags (can double, triple, quadruple as needed!)
To make pancakes:
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl (if you made the mix ahead, just use one bag of the dry mix)
- In another bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, butter, and vanilla.
- Add wet to dry, and whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and grease lightly with butter.
- Pour ¼ cup batter into circles.
- Flip once bubbles appear and sides are lightly golden.