This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Dark chocolate cupcakes are the perfect partner to this decadent and rich whipped ganache. Easy to make, and delicious, chocolate lovers will enjoy this!
I know, the title says “cupcakes”, but really – we both know you’re here for the frosting. It’s okay. I understand. We’ll talk about cupcakes in a minute, ok?
Let’s talk about ganache
It’s creamy. It’s chocolatey. IT’S DELICIOUS!! It’s a simple blend of heated cream, poured over chocolate and then whisked til smooth. It can be used in a couple of ways – simply dip the tops of your cupcakes in the ganache, and let them set (add some sprinkles if you must. I generally must). OR, you can whip it up into a frenzy of yum, and pipe fluffy, rich decadent whipped ganache all over your cupcakes.
So, the cupcakes then?
They’re actually pretty awesome. They’re light without being boring, and they complement the richness of the ganache.
they are the perfect vehicle for getting ganache from your plate to your mouth.
I’ve shown both ways of making the ganache frosting that I personally use, but there’s another way (after cooling in the fridge like you were going to whip it, simply pipe it on to the cupcakes).
These are a favorite with everyone, everywhere! I brought most of them to work, where they were devoured pretty quickly. You’re so welcome, co-workers!
WANT TO TRY THIS RECIPE?
PIN IT TO YOUR FAVORITE PINTEREST BOARDS!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES!
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Whipped GanachePrint Pin
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup water
- 4 oz butter softened (1 stick)
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups self rising flour
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 12 oz chocolate chips
Dark Chocolate Cupcakes
- Line a cupcake pan with paper liners, and preheat the oven to 325F
- In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate and water, and heat over low, stirring until it melts and is smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In your stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, until just combined.
- Combine the self raising flour, all purpose flour and cocoa powder in a bowl.
- Add the flour mixture gradually until just combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and stir.
- Divide batter evenly among the cupcake liners, and bake for 20 minutes.They should spring back when touched lightly, and a skewer should come out clean.
- Set aside to cool and frost.
- Place the chocolate chips in a large bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over medium high heat, until bubbles begin to appear around the edge.
- Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until smooth and shiny.
To simply dip and decorate
- Allow the ganache to cool slightly, and dip the tops of your cupcakes.
- Sprinkle/decorate as you please. Set aside to cool (keep refrigerated – the ganache will melt at room temp)
- Let the ganache cool in the fridge until you can dip a spoon in it and it holds shape.
- Whip with and electric beater until fluffy.
- Pipe onto cupcakes