This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
This simple slow cooker vegetarian chili is perfect for cool weather, packed with peppers, onions, beans, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes – this is a great crockpot chili!
I went with a vegetarian option this time around – I cleaned out the pantry because my son’s school is having a food drive, and I found so many cans of beans tucked in the back, as well as some of my favorite fire roasted tomatoes.
The fire roasted tomatoes add a lovely smoky flavor to the chili, but you can substitute for regular canned tomatoes if that is what you have!Love this? Me too! Tweet it!
I love to make this at the beginning of the week, or on a weekend – and keep it in the fridge in quart-sized containers so we have an easy dinner or lunch any time we need one.
Freezing chili is also pretty easy, and will stay good in the freezer up to 6 months (if it lasts that long!)
Serving it with a good cornbread or a skillet bread is a lovely way to make the family pile in from outside to eat!! Chili and fresh bread?? oh yes please!!
Thickening Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
Because of the long cooking time, the sweet potatoes become super tender. I like that and smush a few of them, so it thickens the chili. If you don’t, make sure you stop cooking at around the 6-7 hour mark.
Cocoa powder in Chili
This chili uses cocoa powder, which does sound strange, but cocoa powder adds an amazing depth of flavor Cocoa powder gives the chili a richness that you might find in a meat-based chili, but without the meat (or the calories!). I’ve been known to use espresso in my chili as well, for the same reason.
How to make Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
Honestly, the thing that will take the longest is chopping the vegetables and opening several cans.
- Chop the bell peppers and onions
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes
- Open the cans of beans and drain. Rinse
- Open the cans of tomatoes (do not drain)
- Gather the garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder and salt/pepper.
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Mix fresh cilantro through the chili, and…
What to serve with Vegetarian Chili
- I like to make these awesome Crispy Cheddar Cornbread Waffles and pile the chili on top.
- You could also make Southern Style Biscuits – from Bread Booze Bacon (a girl after my own heart)
- My Fluffy Golden Skillet Cornbread is also a winner!
- Want something with a bit of a kick? You’ll love the Skillet Cheddar Jalapeno Sweet Potato Cornbread from Lemon Blossoms!!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper chopped
- ½ green bell pepper chopped
- 8 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs prepared chili powder
- 2 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can white beans drained and rinsed
- 1 lb sweet potato peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
Optional, for serving
- Sour cream and extra cilantro
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), beans, sweet potato.
- Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, and the chili has thickened, on low for 8-10 hours.
- Uncover, stir the fresh cilantro through, and serve.
- Add a dollop of sour cream, and garnish with a little cilantro