This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. Full Disclosure Policy.
Quick to make, and super tasty – this cheesy chicken tomato pasta using just 6 ingredients (mainly pantry staples) is yummy and kid-friendly to boot! The whole family will enjoy this one!
I love this recipe when we are low on time, energy or ingredients (or all 3). This recipe is quick and easy, and can be modified to whatever you have on hand. It is a family favorite!
I typically have these ingredients hanging out at home but rarely make it the same way each time. I regularly add red pepper flakes, or fresh tomatoes (cherry tomatoes are great!) and fresh basil (tomato and basil is a classic combo!)
I have made this a lot – mainly on nights where I really really can’t be bothered, but you know – my family needs to eat. I really enjoy it despite myself. Sometimes, the simple dishes really can be the bigger winners!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- THE TASTE: It kind of reminds me of canned SpaghettiOs – but so much better. My favorite part of this is that it’s so simple to prep. You can do it during the time the pasta is boiling and have dinner on the table in a very short amount of time.
- Super easy to make, perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Uses pantry ingredients that can be adapted to whatever you have on hand without the need for a trip to the grocery store.
What to do with leftovers
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat until it is piping hot!
If you don’t have tomato sauce, use a can of regular diced tomatoes (you can puree them if you want), and add a little water and tomato paste to the mixture.
Add some grated parmesan cheese for a hit of salt, and delicious flavor.
Include a pinch of crushed chilli flakes into your sauce.
For a creamy sauce, add a little heavy cream, half and half, sour cream, yogurt or cream cheese.
Stir through some fresh baby spinach, or some steamed broccoli for an easy way to add veggies to this delicious pasta recipe.
Recipe Ingredients and Possible Substitutes
The full list of ingredients and quantities is found in the printable recipe card below.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast. You can use boneless chicken thighs too. I usually cook these while I’m making the sauce and cooking the pasta.
- Pasta. Any kind of pasta you have on hand works. I prefer the smaller ones like shells, ditalini or penne.
- Butter. I use salted butter in this recipe.
- Tomato sauce. This is also known as tomato puree in some parts of the world.
- Seasonings. I use ranch seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Cheese. Any cheese will work!
How to make Chicken Tomato Pasta
Scroll for Recipe
The full list of ingredients, quantities and instructions can be found in the printable recipe card below.
Gather your ingredients together. Cook the chicken ahead (season with salt and black pepper, then sauté bite sized pieces in some olive oil), or use some leftover rotisserie chicken (or leave it out).
Cook the pasta – any kind of pasta will do. Cook pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions. When cooked to al dente (still firm to the bite, but cooked). Drain the pasta and set aside.
Make the pasta sauce – melt the butter in a large skillet or saucepan over medium heat, and add the tomato sauce, ranch seasoning, salt and pepper.
Add it all together – add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix thoroughly. Remove from the heat and stir through the cheese to melt, then add the chicken.
Serve: Grab some large bowls and serve it up! Devour.
More one pot recipes:
- One Pan Ham & Cheese Pasta. This One Skillet Ham & Cheese Pasta is a weeknight winner ready in less than 30 minutes that makes EVERYONE need seconds. Change up the pasta, and the cheese, but make it over and over!
- Ham Tetrazzini. A super-fast weeknight dinner, this Ham Tetrazzini is a spin on the traditional version and is sure to please the whole family.
- Spaghetti Carbonara. A classic pasta dish using simple ingredients, like a sauce made silky and rich by using eggs, bacon, and parmesan. This Classic Spaghetti Carbonara is comfort food, made right in your own kitchen.
- Tuna Noodle Casserole, This old-time classic tuna casserole will bring you right back to childhood. Budget-friendly and easy to double for a crowd!
Easy Cheesy Chicken Tomato Pasta
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil (or parsley, chopped)
Cook the chicken
Cook the pasta
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and keep warm.
Make the sauce
- Melt butter into a large pot over medium heat.
- Add tomato sauce, ranch seasoning, stirring to combine.
Combine and serve
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce.
- Stir to combine, and allow to heat through.
- Remove from heat, and add the cheese, stirring to melt.
- Test for seasoning, add more if needed.
- Top with cooked chicken.
- Garnish with fresh herbs like parsley or basil.
Nutritional information is an estimate and provided to you as a courtesy. You should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe using your preferred nutrition calculator.
Update: This recipe was originally published in May of 2017. It was republished with updated photos in June of 2022.